Thursday, August 4, 2016

ERA - Eternal Retirement Account

While at Scott River Lodge, upon my suggestion to read Ron Blue's book "Splitting Heirs", S.L. suggested I read "Money, Possessions and Eternity" by Randy Alcorn.  Of course, had read Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven" during my early Heaven Board research, so this recommendation was an easy "sell". 

At first glance the book seems daunting - 504 pages, 22 Chapters and additional appendices and 840 Bible Verse references.  But I have found that nudges occur for a reason.  I'm now on Part 2 - "Seeing Money and Possessions in Eternal Light.  As I was preparing today for SVP Cincinnati's Membership Committee meeting some of the coincidences just converged.

S.L had also asked : Why I had chosen SVP Cincinnati to invest my time and treasure vs a faith based activity?   I didn't have a pithy or quick response.  Yet in today's planning, I feel making investments in SVP Cincinnati is building eternal wealth.  As Randy Alcorn puts it - Jesus isn't saying (Matt. 6:19-24) it's wrong to invest.  He's saying, "Don't make a stupid investment, make a smart one". 

That's what SVP Cincinnati is all about - Engaged Giving and Investing Smartly (vs Checkbook Philanthropy).  I will present an idea that came to me to help build the retention,  renewal, and relations of our Partners - SVP Philanthropy Night (Some Very Philanthropic Discussions).  Groups of 3-6 Partners will dine and discuss topics of significance instead of the typical chit chat on meaningless affairs (like our current politics).  With the help of my other Partner's we will create a list of 10-15 questions in Philanthropy to discuss - JIGS (Joy in Giving Scenarios). 

So the to S.L.'s question - SVP Cincinnati  is like making deposits into my ERA (Eternal Retirement Account).  It's just another form of asset allocation with eternal dividends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment