Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Password Hell

Source:  http://www.stevemasters.co.uk/general-thoughts/user-friendly-passwords/


I try to be very organized about passwords.  Careful not to use a common password for all things, I keep a list of them available just in case (and it is always the case) that I forget to update a password that a web-site requires me to change.

Such was the case with HSA Bank.   Trying desperately to reset using their system of email retrieval was constantly being stopped by a message of "inactive timeout" on the logon screen.  UGH!!!  Then calls to the call center are at the worst time (beginning of the year) and during a major snowstorm in Wisconsin (I later found out).

After four dropped calls (each of 30 minutes on hold) at end of day a representative was able to send me an email with a temporary password.  The reset required 12....  yes 12 characters with at least one Capital and one special character.   Who can remember 12 characters!!!!

Naturally they also will not allow a previous password either.

I wonder how much wasted call center time occurs in companies that have over securitized their web sites!   That in addition to the unproductive time of all of us that forget passwords.  Even trying to remember Dad's (now 93) stuff becomes a yearly exercise in effort.

I have a new definition of what my version of Hell will be (no longer untangling Xmas lights attempting to find the one bulb out).  It will be losing all my passwords and needing to access all the accounts rapidly.

Welcome to Hell.....  please enter your username and password :)


No comments:

Post a Comment