Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Need for Speed

Paying attention to phone (cellular and wireline); internet, TV services has become a yearly exercise.  My run in with Time Warner (now Spectrum) years ago (well documented in ripoff reports and other internet sites) was reinforced when I had to intervene to correct the billing situation for Dad with Cox Communications.  I would have cancelled Cox (like I did Time Warner) in a heart beat if it had been my personal account.

In all cases, it takes persistence, negotiation capabilities, and in some cases threats of ending service to get the best deal possible.  For my personal situation using Cincinnati Bell, the end of year call resulted in a lower bill by $35/mth and increased internet speed from 50 Mbps to 500 Mbps.  But the promotional price I was given is only promised for one year which will require another year end call around 2019 to get the best deal.

Luckily Cincinnati Bell doesn't realize that my threats of discontinuing service would never happen as I promised to never ..... ever become a customer of Time Warner again.

My first task today was to determine if I was actually receiving the 500 Mbps negotiated speed.  That is tough since most speed test applications are 50 Mbps.  I found a site the record speeds up to 1Gbps www.openspeedtest.com .   My speed is only showing 96Mbps.  That will require a follow-up phone call with Cincinnati Bell. 

When I asked my Tennis buddies what speed they are getting - the common answer "Don't know, Don't Care, its good enough for what I need".   I'm just not satisfied with that!

As Tom Cruise said in Top Gun..... 

                     Maverick -  "I feel the need"
                                                                    Goose - "The need for speed"







No comments:

Post a Comment