Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Virtual Castaway

At 3pm yesterday my mental alarm clock and calendar went off.  I had totally "spaced out" a Zoom meeting that I was to lead at 7pm.   The Shelter in Place has put my life and routine in the Twilight Zone.  I can even remember how many days I have been isolated as a castaway.  Like a prisoner, maybe I should start a daily hash mark on the wall. I started distancing in my office March 9 but transferred to home shelter in place March 24 and haven't been outside my neighborhood more than three times. 

The debate continues about death rates, proper ways to resume business, who's to blame, immediate health risks, and the extent of long term emotional, physical and financial damage. Pressure is building on all fronts.

Call it a "sick" bet but I finally bet a lunch with P.N. on the mortality percentage of estimated COVID-19 infections on November 4th (the day of elections).  This crisis has put a great emphasis on death - an inevitable result for all of us.  Naturally the human instinct is to extend life as long as feasible, and our compassion is demonstrated in our attempts to curtail premature death in others. 

Of the 57million deaths worldwide 54% can be attributed to the top 10 causes: 


Based on this chart - 3 million are lower respiratory infections (Influenza; pneumonia).   Also this chart varies dramatically based on developed countries and undeveloped countries.

The macro view of humanity is to understand how to allocate economic resources to slow the rate of death for the greatest number of individuals (a utilitarian philosophy).   However, the individual personal decision comes down to the selfish motive of extending your life with family and friends.  

The tragedy of this crisis is the inability to be near those you love who are dying. No one wants to die alone!   As virtual castaways, how can we be near those we love who are dying?  -  only one way.  The same way to extend life beyond this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment