Saturday, March 3, 2012

Teachers vs Teaching

Last night Susan, Ellen, Paul and I sat down to play bridge.  Well not to play bridge, but to try to teach Ellen and Paul how to play bridge.  Paul who had played Euchre growing up, already knew the concept of "trump" but Ellen was at "ground zero" of "card sense".  It was clear Susan and I had different teaching styles. 

What makes a good teacher?  It was a field that Mom excelled in for over 50 years (she just stopped substituting about two years ago).  I think the first attribute of a good teacher is someone who understands the process of learning.  Someone who can put themselves into the students shoes and see exactly where the student is in the learning process.  The best teachers are those who then understand the individual style of the student's learning process and can vary their approach to meet the students needs.  Finally, there is the ability to make learning fun and provide the incentive and reward to motivate the student to want to progress.

Try to remember who your best teachers/mentors were.  What things do you remember about them?  My best teachers were the ones that took a genuine delight in seeing me progress.  They were not married to my outcomes - just enjoyed the process of seeing me progress at the optimal rate of my capability.  Mrs. Harding, Mr. Keinor, and others whose names have disappeared from my memory - but who helped introduce the ingredients of my success. 

Last night the most important word was to teach Ellen and Paul how to PLAY!   Learning should be like playing - fun at all times!

The BEST teachers give the students the gift of fun - and the ability to teach themselves, thereby becoming a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment