Saturday, March 16, 2013

Beg a Boon

"Money and the Meaning of Life" by Jacob Needleman has the famous Grimm's fairy tail of "The Fisherman and His Wife" in the Appendix II.  I remember reading the tale in Volume 3 page 93 of the Childcraft  series (The Child's Treasury 1954).  I saved the 15 volumes from the rummage sale before the move of Mom and Dad from Cleveland to Wichita and have moved them diligently with me eight times (in addition to Mom and Dad's eight times).  

 
A tale of "want" and husband and wife interaction - The Fisherman and His Wife is a lesson in money, greed, power, and finally humility.  In fact the message at the end speaks to me about God and humility.
 
As for the message for husbands and relationship?  
 
 
"O man of the sea!
Come listen to me,
For Alice my wife,
The plague of my life,
Hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!"
 
                                              
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment