Friday, August 27, 2010

Memory, History and Identity

I listened to a very touching StoryCorps on NPR today. Bob Patterson (scroll down to listen to the fourth entry)  and his wife reflecting on his Alzheimer condition. She said "Memories are not who you are" and it hit me like a cold shower. How ironic.
Capturing memories has been a goal of mine. I have recently spent a great deal of time converting my parents 8mm movies, 35mm slides and listening to the reel to reel tapes from the 60's. Last year I enjoyed writing Jenna my MMM - Monday Miami Memories each week during her freshman year. Additionally, I am a pack rat for keeping all kinds of stuff - old letters, emails, event programs etc. Also just look at my 45 tapes of home movies. I have spent time asking my parents about genealogy stuff (kindled by Aunt Nannie's 110th birthday). And how about my desire to watch old TV series like Rat Patrol; T.H.E. Cat; The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Notice I have a tag in the blog for "memories". I enjoy conversations with people that spark a memory in my past or listen to a nostalgic memory from their past. This blog is a form of capturing memories; I write in a daily spiritual journal; I record financial and behavioral facts in my financial investment journal; - all capturing history that immediately becomes a "memory".
Time is mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment