Friday, April 27, 2012

Faith vs Trust

Faith and Trust was the subject of this morning's Men's Fellowship.  Immediately Dave Phillip's comment at the Health Foundation Audit Committee meeting popped into my memory - "In God we Trust, everyone else we audit". 

For me Trust is verifiable, but Faith is unverifiable.  "Trust but verify" - was the saying I used for being at the mall while Jenna (and now Ellen) would hang out with friends.  G.M joined in saying Trust is more tangible and visible and Faith intangible and in fact mysterious. 

I previously blogged about Irreplaceable Trust - and pondered how to  measure Trust.  So how can we measure Faith?  James felt Faith could be measured in works (deeds) - "I will show you my faith by my deeds" ...  "Faith without deeds is dead" (James 2:18; James 2:26).

Deeds are what we use to verify character.  How did you act when faced with an ethical decision?  In the gray world of determining what is right and wrong - faith provides our answer to what is truth.  This faith journey (of deeds) is played out in the Chutes and Ladder game (full of ethical and character  messages to the child)  ---  one small mistake can be a long side down the hill.  A magnanimous deed provides higher ladder to the 100% blue ribbon.

Where are you in the game?








No comments:

Post a Comment