Friday, April 6, 2012

Four Eyes

You never know when an event will "tap the floodwater's" of your memory banks.  Today this occurred when A.M. sent me an email about his grandaughter playing "parade" in New Orleans (referring to the  cultural tradition of Mardi Gras down South).  He asked if that was something I had been exposed to while living there. 

The memory floodwater's opened -  What did D'lane, Vana and I play back in those days?   I was in elementary (now called middle) school (5th -  7th grade; 3/65 to 3/68) during those years.  Much of our play was influenced by network television shows of the 60's - Combat, Daniel Boone, Man From U.N.C.L.E. etc. Those "heros" would appear "cool" to an young teenage boy. So I remember playing make believe as a soldier, American pioneer and spy - but not designing parade floats or playing Mardi Gras. 

Moving from Utah to Louisiana as a early teen was exciting but the real "self esteem event" was becoming "four eyes" for the first time - Sept. 1966.  Discovered by my 6th grade teacher as I would sit in the front row and squint at the blackboard, I remember asking the ophthalmologist how often I would need to wear the glasses.  His response:  "Anytime you want to see leaves on trees" :)

Now why did "Four Eyes" flood into my memory from A.M.'s question?  

It's much easier to catch the flying Mardi Gras trinkets as a spectator (with spectacles) during the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment