Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wall of Worry

How ironic today in the Vistage meeting, I talked about fear, uncertainty and doubt (in various contexts including the stock market).  Then, returning to my office I read the Jeff Miller's blog "A Dash of Insight" where he used the term "A Wall of Worry".  The term is actually defined in investopedia.

As I read through his list of 33 worries finding some inaccuracies, he quickly pointed out  that the list (which contained 80% of my current worries) was originally written December 2010 (14 months ago).  That list could easily  easily blocked an investor from doing anything since December 2010 - frozen in uncertainty. Yet the market broke through that wall and continued on its way - both up and down. 

I/ve blogged about "Worry" several times (What me Worry, The Weary Worry Index, Wasted Worry).  Creating walls of worry, whether in the stock market or life, can be a waste of time.  Better use of time is to eliminate the wall - one brick at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment