Thursday, September 24, 2009

What me Worry?

"Who of you by worrying, can add a single hour to his life?" ......    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of it's own."  
So the question is - does each day have a finite amount of absolute worries?  Patrick McManus talks about the "Worry Box" in his book the Good Samaritan Strikes Again.  I like his postulation - "People possess a certain capacity for Worry - no more no less".  If true that says on any given day we add up all the people and we get the absolute value of all the worries in the world.  So it could be that worries is a function of population growth.
I like the thought that the older we get the smaller our worry box gets.  Even though the baby boomers are getting older and worries are decreasing, the overall population growth means absolute worries may be growing - it depends on how fast the worry box shrinks with age.
I know my worry box is smaller than Susan's.  If fact, I tell her I'm glad she worries so much because that releases the pressure on me to add to my worries.  And how does one quantify the magnitude of a worry - which worry is bigger than another?  Is your worry more important than my worry?
Bobby McFerrin wrote the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" -  I can just hear it now in my mind!  A great song with the perfect score and lyrics - the 1989 Grammy song of the year.
So today can you close the lid on the worry box?
"In your life expect some trouble;  When you worry you make it double; Don't Worry, Be Happy - Be Happy Now"

No comments:

Post a Comment