Thursday, September 17, 2009

Talent

The season finale of America's Got Talent got me thinking about the how we define talent.  Yes - it took 4 seasons before I really got interested in this show (assuming is was just a knock off of American Idol which I was never really interested in).  How I got hooked was in a channel surfing experience I happened upon Kevin Skinner's performance in the 4th Season of this show.  Like the British version of Susan Boyle (who by the way was on the Season Finale of America's Got Talent last night), I also figured Kevin Skinner was an American media setup to compete with the British media blitz that Susan made in her performance.

So I followed Season 4 and the Cinderella story of Kevin Skinner - by the way he did win the Million Dollars.
 
Should he have won?  My heart said yes - my critic is his performances slide down hill from the first. 

So what is talent?   My definition is that it is discovering your gift from God and trying to excel at it.  Kevin has a musical gift ( maybe not the best in America), and the courage to try to excel at it.  That's what I think America was voting for - we love the Cinderella Story -  rags to riches.  We love the entrepreneurial spirit and try to reward it as a populace. 

What's the Edison quote? -  "Success is 1% Inspiration and 99% Perspiration".  I think this applies here also - just substitute Talent for Inspiration.



No comments:

Post a Comment