Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Letters to Editors

I rarely read Editorials or the letters to Editor (which are usually a counter point of view).  I prefer to see those magazines and newspapers that show two side by side Editorials that show opposing points of view together.  The term "fair and balanced" has even been abused by the famous Fox News Channel.  Fair and balanced is really a split screen between Fox News with OReilly/Hannity and MSNBC with Olbermann/Maddow.  When I toggle back and forth to each of these channels I get irritated at both.

Jack Painter just sent me a draft of an Oped piece he intends to send to the Enquirer or Community Press.  I broke my rule and read it - after all he is a good friend.  It was well written but I wonder who really reads it --- does it have any impact ---  will it just create an counterpoint piece in next week's paper.

Some argue that certain Editors have been vetted over time and that their views are worth reading and spreading to the uniformed masses.  Maybe so - but I think if you want to speak about an issue - don't quote me some editorial,  instead show me your research and how you have studied the issue.  I want your view not the view of your favorite editor who thinks just like you.

So - I will continue to avoid Editorials.  I like letters to Editor because that is you and me writing back - sort of like blogging. By the way aren't Editors just professional bloggers who got A's in English?



No comments:

Post a Comment