Friday, September 4, 2009

Microsoft Dodges a Bullet - Maybe

Well the computer saga may be over.  After a day of tuning, adding memory to 2 gig, and my road testing, Jenna's flawed  HP Pavilion DV2310US is running like a top.  But in reading reviews and attempting to find blogs with advice, I'm convinced this model is a lemon.  Just shows you a Lemon Computer with an Unliked Operating System is Apple's best marketing campaign.  Will Jenna be appeased and use this one, or will she continue the research and desire for an Apple -  stay tuned.

Then Susan entered the picture while obtaining a new charger for her cell phone, the Verizon rep told her about the new $199 Laptop with $39.99/mth internet access.  RATS - and I'm stuck until 6/16/2010 with my Sprint access at $61/mth (with tax).  Apparently the offer was sweetened when the rep said the laptop is free if you buy a blackberry phone for $149.  Actually I can't wait to see the competition drive down wireless data access even further. 

I will say all the technology tinkering has gotten my gadget temptation at an all time high.  If Jenna picked the Apple or Verizon alternative, I would gladly take over her laptop now that it is tuned so well and deep six this Acer that I am on.

Oh - I did create a history of my laptop purchases:

8/16/02  - Circuit City buying a CPQ1510US for $2,103.98  Paid (9/28/04) Radioshack service center $40 to look it over after 10 months of thinking it was broken- currently it's screen is malfunctioning
11/7/03  - Circuit City buying a CPQ2195US for $1,249.99 with $250 rebate that I didn't get (long story)
11/7/03  - Paid for 3 yr service agreement $284.16  (and ended up using it once on 6/11/07 after spending $40 for new adapter)
6/09/07 -  Jenna and I buy together HP DV2310US with $100 or $150 rebate?
6/09/07 - Paid for 3 yr service agreement $329.99 and used twice already for hard drive, motherboard, ethernet connection new battery
11/2/07 - Bought from Wyborski an Acer Walmart Early Black Thursday special $348.00 Bought 2 gig memory in 2/09 for $40
9/4/09 Bought 2gig memory for $33 for HP DV2310US

So 4 computers and $5K in 7 yrs.This substantiates my theory of buy cheap, buy often and buy less than you need.  Also I'm tempted to buy again with Windows 7 -  go figure NOT ONLY MAY MSFT DODGE A BULLET but all this attention could cause me to buy yet another laptop with Windows 7 preloaded.  Why?  Because my other lesson learned is not to upgrade any computer with a new operating system.

Some day when I get motivated I will attempt to reconstruct the history of my desktop purchases.  That's another long and assorted tale.



No comments:

Post a Comment