Friday, September 11, 2009

Anniversary - What year was that?

Each day is awarded another anniversary memory  -  and they accumulate a long history of "what happened on that date".  So what makes this day in history meaningful to you?   Do you celebrate that memory or feel a pang of loss?  Today - 9/11 will always be marked for our generation (like Dec 7th for my parents) as a visual memory of catastrophic man-made event - planes flying into buildings.  Most of us will remember exactly where we were - will that memory fade - maybe some of the details but not the feeling.  And probably the date will always remain in memory - 9/11/2001. 

Few dates are etched into your memory - that is the exact month, day and year.  Your Birthday, Anniversary, family birthdays and maybe friends.Some have better memories than others about these key exact dates and whether you remember all three (month, day and year) or just the month and day. Luckily technology is here to help us.  As an example I have in my palm pilot dates with year of all my family's birth, marriage, death.  That pretty much defines the events of life down to the simple three. 

What world events (events you didn't participate in) do you really remember - vividly and know the exact date and year it occurred?   I remember where I was, what I was doing on several key events -  the Kennedy assassination,  Regan attempted assassination,  moon landing, first shuttle explosion, 9/11 terrorist strike - not many 5 events.  9/11 is the only one where I remember the month and day - because how it is titled.  Will I remember the year in 30 years?

 




No comments:

Post a Comment