Saturday, September 19, 2009

Socks

Take a good look at your sock drawer.  Is it well organized?  What about those missing pairs?  How do the socks get in there?  What are the primary colors?  How do socks get retired? What pair is the most under utilized?

I'm lucky enough to have the advantage of placing dirty socks down a hamper and presto they show up back in my drawer - magically by Susan.  But over time a singles begin to accumulate.  It is this strange belief of mine that if I keep the single in there long enough its partner will appear.  But alas it hope is futile. So when do you take the major step and retire the single completely - to trash or rag box?  For me the time frame is years. 

By the way, where do those missing pairs go?  This is one of the strange mysteries of life.  My theory is there is a warp zone near every dryer that captures the single.  Maybe those singles are clinging desperately to a pant leg attempting to break out of the sock cycle of hell - attached to feet, dirty, wet, dry and banished to the drawer only to do it over and over again.

Today I took the time to repair :)  my singles where I could find a match.  Yes somehow my automatic sock re- supplier  (Susan) had skipped the knotting step and even paired two singles with different colors.  This process error was discovered yesterday when I looked down and found one dark blue and one black sock on each of my feet.  Three years ago when this happened I retired all dark blue socks completely.  Somehow a pair must have found it's way back to the drawer.
o
So with meticulous and careful viewing in natural light, I attempted to pair the correct blacks together.  This is not an easy task.  I can be grateful to Susan for her diligence and eye for detail.  So the one blue pair is now enter the world of rags.Unfortunately I had no courage to retire the other single pairs.



No comments:

Post a Comment