Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gadget Month

I think each year when fall comes, I get in gadget mode.  It must be related to watching football, new fall TV line-up, and more indoor entertainment.  So while Ellen and I were playing Wii in the movie room, I began watching NFL football on the big screen but in standard format -  ugh!   The fuzzy screen made me sick.  Now my Dell projection screen has HD capability but I would need an ATSC tuner down there.  I have one standard VCR/DVD combo player and one component DVD player hooked up down there.  So what I would need is to replace the component DVD with a DVD player with an ATSC tuner.  Or is it time to just break down and get the HD package from Time Warner?

Then that got me thinking - why not get a DVD recorder (since I am too cheap to get a TIVO or DVR).  But alas - these do not record HDTV - just standard with upconvert.

And then I think - will I really go downstairs to watch football?  Not really that is just a movie room.

So I will continue to put it on the wish but not really needed list.  If I come across a cheap DVD with and ATSC tuner, I will get it for downstairs for the odd chance that I want to watch HDTV (the network channels) downstairs. 

Also, I will continue to evaluate getting a DVR for my system upstairs.  Really that is the next step in upgrading my complete system upstairs.

Maybe some of this was also driven by Rich telling me about his Netflix download/streaming box he bought for $99.  I will need to factor that into the analysis also.

Just shows you - no matter how many gadgets you have - there are more to consider.



No comments:

Post a Comment