Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Jenna's HP Laptop Saga - Will Microsoft take the fall?

I can see most of today will be consumed with Computer repair diagnostics.  Susan delivered the old Compaq notebook as a backup to Jenna last night.  I now have her HP DV2310US with me at the office and I am sufficiently frustrated (I can now understand Jenna's stress level).  So out comes all the documentation.  The Computer purchased from the defunct Circuit City on 6/9/2007 was a lemon.  It had problems that Jenna talked about continuously until I got involved the next year 6/30/2008 and we sent it in (at that time the ethernet connection didn't work, there were power problems, DVD intermittent problems and a bunch of runtime errors on bootup).   The hard drive was replaced (there goes Jenna's data), replaced gad combo drive, repaired ethernet port and tested battery charging circuitry).  .And related to that same saga we did get a new battery on 7/10/2008.

The power problems continued and I had to get involved again two months later 8/6/08The computer was sent back again and they "replaced the motherboard due to bad bga causing power issues". 

Now here we are again - a year later 9/2/2009 with similar power issues and I am about to call the extended service number that I paid $330 on purchase of the machine.  (By the way the machine cost was $930). 

So -   I'm beginning to have pity on Jenna (she put up $400 of her own money back in 2007) on this computer.  This could be the straw that breaks Microsoft's back.  Because you connect hardware problems with Vista and Microsoft - Microsoft may take the fall. 

Stay tuned




No comments:

Post a Comment