Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just End It

One of the hardest things in life is deciding when to stop doing things that you have been doing for years.  Whether it is a habit, a job, a daily ritual, anything.  It's like what I would find in the corporate world looking at computer reports, procedures and policy.  They get put in place - usually do to an exception, customer problem, supplier issue, poor quality etc.  And they live on forever.  I would ask - why do you continue to produce this computer report - and many times could get no logical reason.  "I do it for Frank"  -----  and Frank what do you do with it  ---  " I check if for accuracy and sent it to Joe"  ---  Joe how do you use it?  ---   " I don't I just file it for reference if a customer calls"  ---  When was the last time a customer called?  ---   "I think it was about a year or so ago".

Even with this dialogue, it was difficult to convince the client to quit producing the report.  So it is with our own reports, daily procedures and policies.  When is it time to stop?  

I wonder this year if we will renew our box seats at the Masters Tennis after 18 years of ownership and 10 years of volunteering?  The longer the habit - the more difficult it is to change -  to stop or even modify it's use.  Very difficult to pull yourself out of the trees to see the forest.  Maybe I need to hire a consultant :)




No comments:

Post a Comment