Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baseball Memories

Going to the Red's game today will revive the old baseball memories.  Naturally in the 60's my favorite team was the NY Yankees -  Why because I was living in a suburb of Salt Lake City -  Bountiful and there was definitely no major league baseball team there.  So why not go with the winner. 

The World Series was always exciting for me in those days.  It was a reminder of how fun Autumn was.  What World Series will I remember the most -  there are two. 

First was the World Series in 1963 with the Yankees vs Dodgers.  And it wasn't the games I remember since unfortunately the Yankees lost in 4.  No it was because during that series I had to write 1000 times that I would not talk in class (or something to that effect).  That was very painful in additon to the Yankees losing.

The second memory of World Series was the one I actually attended.  Cincinnati vs Oakland in 1990.  I was attending my second Partners meeting in San Francisco and Ed Harbach got tickets for Game 3 (Oct 19, 1990).  Actually later I found out the credit for those tickets might very well be given to Joe Ratterman.  Oakland fans had brought their brooms to Cincinnati for game 1 expecting to take out Cincinnati in 4.  The reality was Cincinnati won it in 4 and was the only team to go end to end in a season with a winning record.

Football may have taken the limelight lately but for me Baseball will always be America's game.



No comments:

Post a Comment