Monday, October 26, 2009

Truck Driver

I think in another life I was or will be a truck driver.  Just finished driving 2,364.6 miles over the last 6 days.  Cincy to Wichita to Dallas to Wichita to Cincy  and about 36 hours.  I just pop in my books on tape ( 3 complete books for this trip) and cruise.  Average speed - over 70 mph except on way back (traffic jam on construction) that I spent one hour in traffic for 3 miles - ugh!   

I like the car  and I like driving.  Now with cell phones you can still connect with people (if you want) or just zone out and meditate.  Just think about the amount of time you spend in the car.  Take an average of 15,000 miles a year and assume an average speed of 40 (probably high) with some start and stop time (avg. stop light is 3 min) - somewhere between 400 and 500 hours or 50 workdays per year.  Arbitron says the average person spends 15hrs per week in a car (11 on weekdays and 4 on weekends) which would be 780 hours or 98 workdays per year.  Now we know why there is so much billboard advertising.

So why would l like to spend 12 hours in the car driving to Wichita.  Well one part of the trip is almost spiritual.  Driving through Flint Hills Kansas.  I usually get to Flint Hills about 7pm as the sun is setting.  That drive shows the grasslands of Kansas - no billboards, no houses, no telephone lines, no sign of civilization other than the road and an occassional radio or cell tower.  The sun is setting over the rolling prairie with the cattle grazing - its just beautiful.  Or may be it is the fall leaves in Indiana just after Louisville, or the Kentucky hills and horse farms. 

Yes -it's alot of alone time - but I cherish my alone time.  I suppose that might be a common trait among many truck drivers.  But with all that driving there isn't much time for blogging :)




No comments:

Post a Comment