Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Your Private Social Network

So what is the balance between social networking and privacy?  I tend to be less private when it come to the internet and telling about myself.  Early Geocities site (about to be discontinued in a few days by Yahoo); (first signed up 4/2/2004); Facebook (just recently); My Space (2007); Plaxo (2008) and some other one that has morphed into My Life. 

Bill Ernst introduced our Vistage group to a great Utube video describing what social networking is all about.  It is why I started this blog.  But the privacy part is only a few people even know about my blog.

Now most of what is on Facebook, and Linkedin is public information.  I have set up no privacy features yet.  So like the Utube guy described - this is like the social party room.  Everyone can see you, know what you do and even see your friends.  And as he stated your blog is like your house.  When you feel comfortable with someone you "invite them over".  They begin to understand alittle more about you than just the surface level party talk stuff.

It's interesting to google someone to see what you can learn about them.  If you haven't googled yourself, it is a good thing to do once a month (like looking in the mirror). From mine you could construct alot of data.  For me it is no surprise but for others who value and attempt to keep private everything - they would be shocked.

For now, I will err on the side of transparency and little privacy.  If people know more about me prior to meeting, it can only help our relationship.   Those that object to who I am will avoid me (thank goodness) and those that are intrigued will seek a deeper relationship.  And that what life is really all about.




No comments:

Post a Comment