Thursday, October 15, 2009

What is Fun?

What is Fun? That is a tougher question than I thought.  I just had to write the answer to that question that will be published on the SVP Cincinnati web-site.  Here was my answer:

For
fun:  I like puzzles, problems, unknowns,
and new technologies.  Consequently, fun
for me is discovering new facts, faces and places. If an activity requires
logic, predicting behavior, probabilities and optimization, I will enjoy
participating.  For fun I ask people
their favorites, challenge their thinking, and learn as much as I can about
their point of view.


I could have listed all my favorite activities and hobbies as a participant or spectator (in no preference order in my life journey - child, youth, adult):  Basketball, Tennis, Golf, Ping Pong, Badminton, Pond Hockey, Piano, Clarinet, Puzzles, Board Games, Technology Gadgets, Investing, Gambling, Reading, Bridge, Flying, Collecting, Movies, Giving, Writing (and now Blogging), Bible Study, Alumni outings, Family gatherings, Friend gatherings, Miami U. Football, Home Renovations, Driving, Organizing

Now it begins to bleed into interests (e.g. subjects):  Math, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Human Behavior, Socio Demographics, Trivia, Lists, Technology, Human Ergonomics, Music, Magic, Self Help, Consumer Value, Memory, Business Models, Nostalgia, Adoption, Libertarianism, ....

And now it bleeds into philosophy and values  -  Moderation, Laissez Faire, Honesty, Frugality, Punctuality, Forthright, Seeking Knowledge, Flexibility, Adaptability, Helping, Encouraging, Teaching, Learning, Trying, Honoring, Respecting, ......

So how did what is fun turn into a self actualization of "Who am I"   -   That's the fun part of logical chains.



No comments:

Post a Comment