Sunday, October 11, 2009

Moving Franchises

So I finally figured out why I was so confused a few weeks ago.  I tuned in half-way through a Tennessee pro football game and was looking at Houston Oiler helmets.  How confusing -  I did remember Houston moved to Tennessee but did Tennessee keep the name and logo of Houston Oilers? Was it like the Baltimore Colts who moved to Indianapolis and kept the Horseshoe helmets and name? 

No it is now the Tennessee Titans and the Houston Texans; but it is the Indianapolis Colts.  The reason for the confusion is that this year they are celebrating the AFL legacy with 16 games being played in the old uniform and logo designs - Hence Tennessee was wearing the old Oilers uniforms. No wonder old fogys like me are confused.  Having just listened to Jerry Lucus and his memory techniques tonight, I can see why my mind is confused.  We all visualize things best to remember.  So seeing Oil rigs on helmets - I remember Houston ---- not Tennessee.
 
I've lost track of the Rams (LA or St. Louis), the Raiders (Oakland or LA) --- where or who are they?.  And such a shame to be unable to refer to any game with just the city or the team logo.  When you say - I remember that game between Baltimore and the Rams - just who are you talking about?  Colts, Ravens or St Louis, LA or Cleveland?




No comments:

Post a Comment