Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chilling

No I'm not talking about Halloween.  I referring to the xylophone playing up and down your spine.  For me that occurs in music since I never watch horror flixs.  Since I have been watching concerts on my Blu-ray sound system there are songs that I really like and then there is the song that creates chills.  Bruce Springsteen Live from Dublin had several in each category.  So is it the musician or the listener?

Scientists found that people already familiar with the music are more likely to catch a chill at key moments:

  • When a symphony turns from loud to quiet
  • Upon entry of a solo voice or instrument
  • When two singers have contrasting voices
It is the listener who gives life to the emotions in music.  I believe that music can touch something spiritual in us.  It's why I love listening to the choir at church.  Clearly music can evoke strong emotions and memories.  It can also be healing, calming and soothing. 

I do wonder the flow - do the chills go up the spine or down the spine?  Usually it is for a moment in time - nor more than 3 seconds.  And on a rerun of the refrain can the chills be recreated or is it a combination of unique one time factors?  I think I keep a list of the times this occurs for me and do my own statistical analysis.

Whatever the answers - it is a touching moment to get every now and then to have that musical experience.  Keep listening to those concerts.



No comments:

Post a Comment