Wednesday, April 25, 2012

He made me do it

With the power of choice, comes the acceptance of responsibility.  It is just not acceptable to hide behind other causes - people, circumstances, or the unknown.  Flip Wilson on his comedy TV show made the statement "The Devil made me do it" famous.  We all laughed because it was clear this was a way to get out of an uncomfortable exposure. 

But what about -  "God made me do it"?   I think using God as an excuse for actions is equally unappealing and could be used as a shield for a person's action.  Afterall, if God is the source - the action must be based in truth, righteousness, and proper.  A diluted version of this is "God is calling me to .......". 

Don't get me wrong, spiritual direction, messages from above, and nudges from "angels" are real to me and many others.  Communicating your actions in reference to these feelings can be appropriate.  However, it is when the actions are worded as "pure" and "holy" that I object. 

Like wireless reception, spiritual messages can get garbled in the human world of interpretation.  It may be God's voice and idea - but you can be sure humans will hear and interpret it with mistakes.  Just look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment