Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Life-time Management

Jenna and I have had some discussion time in the car as I drop her off at work. As she discovers what a full time work week is like, the concept of "life - time management" has entered her knowledge domain.  During my early career years, I studied time management carefully.  Much of this had to do with productivity and efficiency in the workplace.  However this also caused me to think about my personal time management.  Several times I would "log" my time each day for a week to determine how that time was spent. 

Here are some interesting thought provoking charts on Life -Time Management:

Click to Enlarge



What you discover quickly is how much time we spend sleeping and eating - basic survival of almost 50% of our time.  Next you determine that it is difficult to segregate our time into distinct "buckets".  Finally you see how little time we have that is truly discretionary and available. 

In the book "The Millionaire in You" by Michael LeBoeuf he describes our time like money asset allocation in four categories - Learning, Earning, Living and Giving.  Conceptually these four categories are easy to understand.  It is much more difficult to put into practice and measure.  In the second chart, I took a sample 85 year old person and tried to allocate their lifetime (31,025 days) into the buckets. 

How balanced is your portfolio and is it aligned with your purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment