Saturday, June 16, 2012

Post Purchase Analysis

The other day, I reflected with K.C. about one of my personality attributes - post purchase analysis anxiety.  This is the habit of infinitely re-analyzing a purchase decision for it's optimal outcome.  This occurs in me, especially as it applies to technology gadgets - TV, Computer, Router, Surround Sound, Projection Screens, Cell Phones, Data Plans, etc.

So K.C. stoked the fire with a simple technology question about the range of wireless WiFi routers.  Immediately, I tried (unsuccessfully) to remember and verbalize the entire analysis of my decision to purchase the NetGear N600 WNDR3400 from E.W. three months ago. 

The change in routers was occuring during the three month ordeal of troubleshooting my home network -- problems with Cincinnati Bell's DSL network to my home. Luckily my technical support team (K.M. at CBT; and E.W. tech guru) have just now got my network ready for testing.  CBT has installed new DSLAM equipment and ported my line over (June 15 deadline)  Having purchased E.W.'s NetGear N600 and created my own D-Link switch, my home network should now be ready for the new DSL network.

So today, I reminded myself of all the features of a wireless router that I needed and tested the antenna range in my home (better but still doesn't reach Ellen's room).  At the same time, I spent the effort to re-evaluate premium wireless routers and concluded that taking E.W.'s advice and buying his NetGear N600 was optimal (for my needs). 

My justification for infinite post purchase analysis (and its resulting anxiety) is that it promotes continuous improvement and knowledge acquisition.  Since technology is changing hourly - it also sets up a continual channel of need to acquire new gadgets - bleeding edge.



No comments:

Post a Comment