Friday, September 21, 2012

Reboot, Reload, Retry, Retool

If in doubt reboot.  The problem is that reboot times are getting longer and longer.  Today DirecTV was out to troubleshoot a problem.  It all started with the DVR receiver that was overheating.  I was sent a replacement DVR for free (after pleading with the Rep to waive the  $20 shipping charges) that naturally did not work (it was a refurbished DVR). 

My first investment of time was 45 minutes with a rep trying to troubleshoot the problem which was then escalated to a manager who called me back and wasted another 15 minutes.  Instead of taking my advice that the problem was with the refurbished DVR (since the old DVR could be replugged and worked) they decided to send a technician out (even though it will cost them a $45 service call).

Naturally this is the age old story of waiting for the technician.  My window was 12-4pm with a promise to call 10 minutes ahead of time.  I got a call that morning reminding me of the appointment. Naturally I didn't get a call until 3:30 stating he was 10 minutes away.  At 4pm the technician showed.  Amazingly he plugged it in and it worked - we activated the unit and I thought I was done (a 10 minute job).   Suddenly the receiver lost the satellite signal and the trouble began.

One hour later, since the technician was convinced it could be my wires, I offfered the advice AGAIN that the refurbished box was probably defective.  This time my advice was taken and he installed a new box.  Unfortunately the time to install that was another hour and 1/2 because of ...... well there were all kinds of excuses.

So a simple replacement of a box that overheated required four DirecTV points of contact and 4 hours of personnel time (and my time).  Clearly the  activation controls, installation and setup complexity have gotten out of hand.  The business model is broken!

S.S. told me at lunch he was on the phone for six hours with Verizon trying to troubleshoot how to download his 9 gig of songs to his new Samsung smartphone.  YES SIX hours and the problem was still not resolved (he finally solved it himself). 

So what is the basic time problem here?  Humans waiting for the systems to reboot, reload - on each retry.  Reps and technicians that are not effective trouble shooters.

What do we really need - to Retool the entire technology service business model.



No comments:

Post a Comment