Thursday, September 27, 2012

Staying Young

I had breakfast with J.Y. yesterday to discuss the site visit that SVP Cincinnati partners will make to Boys Hope Girls Hope to vet and understand their proposal in our 2012 Investment cycle.

 I first met J.Y. five years ago  when I was creating the business plan for SVP Cincinnnati and was immediately impressed with his accomplishments and passion.  Every time I meet with him I leave with more than I came with - a jewel or two of life wisdom.  Add to that J.Y. is so positive, affable, and humorous you can't leave a discussion without feeling good through smiles, laughter and optimistic thoughts.

During the pleasing pleasantries of getting caught up, J.Y. shared his transition from a successful run at the Free Store Food Bank to his next activity.  The word most would use is "retirement" but J.Y. and I both concluded this word is not appropriate.  We also discussed the process of "getting old" and had a great many laughs at the definition of a "senior".  But the real meat of the discussion came during the discussion of planning your "second half" (to use the title from Bob Buford's book). 

I liked J.Y.'s quote about this - "Sometimes I feel like I'm laying a mile of track just ahead of the train"

No comments:

Post a Comment