Saturday, January 18, 2014

Back to School

I've been helping Ellen study Social Studies and I've been learning more (with more interest) than I ever understood about the patterns of economics, politics, religion, art, literature, music, and philosophy.  When I would try to impart this wisdom to Ellen during a review for a quiz, Ellen's eyes will roll back in her head silently saying " Dad, just get the minimum facts to stick in my head to get through this boring history stuff so I can get a good grade!". 

How true ---  I hated World History at her age. Yet now I'm fascinated with looking back at the history of human behavior.  K.C. listened to me describe this and told me of a course he is taking on line.

The Modern World: Global History since 1760
by Philip Zelikow

So I decided to join him with over 21,000 students in taking the 14 week course.  I'm also reading the supplemental text "Patterns of World History Since 1750" by von Sivers, Desnoyers, and Stow. 
I finished week One and get a Quiz on Tuesday.  It is yet to be determined if my pattern of school history will repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment