Monday, May 18, 2015

Archimedes or Plato

Ellen packaged up her Rhombicosidodecahedron to take to school for her extra credit project.  Of course, I had to dig out (yes I saved it) my own Icosahedron that I constructed when I was her age.

Clearly we can see the difference in educational progression (and prodding) of 45 years.   The Icosahedron looks like a Model T next to a Lincoln. 

My old Icosahedron is more precisely a regular convex or Platonic Icosahedron consisting of 20 equilateral triangle faces with five meeting at each of its twelve vertices -  hence the colored pentagon look painted upon the vertices.

Now Ellen's project is actually  a "Great Rhombicosidodecahedron" one of many Archimedian solids.  This one has 30 squares, 20 hexagons, and 30 decagons with 120 verticies and 180 edges.

So 10 times (e.g. verticies) better than Dad :)

Well done Ellen!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment