Thursday, October 28, 2010

Abandoned Data

I'm not a hoarder - but I do have the bad habit of not throwing stuff away. It includes data and PCs. I have PC's in the basement, 5 1/4 floppies in shelves, old software, IOmega Zip Drives, Maxtor hard drive, Seagate, the list goes on and on.

I feel sorry for all that abandoned data. There is no visability into what data is out there. The only difference between this abandoned data and the physical stacks of manila folders and financial statements in my attic is that I can't physcially open this data up. It is carefully hidden from access in virtual folders with index names that I could never recall on media that is almost impossible to open.

Today started a new version of Outlook on the "hand me down" HP PC from Jenna. A clean slate - nothing in folders - I have abandoned my 25760 emails from the Acer. Yes - almost twenty six thousand emails (from 3/16/2006 to 10/27/2010). That is about 16 emails a day for 1661 days (igorning the spam that gets scanned and deleted).

Well - I haven't completely abandonded them. They still sit on the Yahoo server in a backup folder :)

And what about all those pre- 3/16/2006 emails? Those are hidden away in Lotus notes files, old floppies, and backup diskettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment