Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cigarette Habit

One of my many Accenture stories popped into my head today.

It was around 1980 and I was doing an EDP review (Electronic Data Processing) at Southern Ohio Bank. I had my checklist of questions and entered the office of Vice President Joe Falsetti. Looking back, I can smile as they loved to poke at the "green beans" (the term for the consultants/auditors).

As I asked my questions, Joe pulled a cigarette from a pack and began to manipulate it with his fingers putting it in back and forth in his mouth ( smoking was allowed in offices in 1980). This went on for the entire interview.

Finally I got the courage to ask Joe - "Are you even going to light that cigarette?"

No, he replied, I gave up smoking two years ago. He waited for my reaction.

Why - then do you have a pack of cigarettes? I questioned.

"Oh, I like the smell, feel and taste of the tobacco." Joe quipped.

And how long does a pack of cigarettes last? - the statistician in me wondered.

Joe said, "I consume about a pack a week."

I wonder if he has kicked the habit :) - Cigarettes or "toying with the green beans"

No comments:

Post a Comment