Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Foolish Fear

Another person's fears look so foolish at times. But that is what fools us - the fear is real - the reality for the person experiencing it. I helped Ellen practice the 6th grade presentation to the class on Daylight Savings Time. I could see the pressure building inside her and the fear taking control of her both physically and emotionally.

Fear relates to future events which is why time makes our fears look foolish. That is also why practice (for this particular fear) can lower the level of uncertainty about the particular event.

I learned in my training at Accenture the value of video taping presentations. Seeing yourself as the audience would and projecting your presentation into the future can be invaluable. So I have a complete library of videos of both Ellen and Jenna in various classroom practice presentations. These memories will create laughter as they will both see the "foolish" fear they overcame.

No comments:

Post a Comment