Friday, January 28, 2011

Lemon Laptop Lottery

It pays to go ahead a read these class action settlement letters (or in this case a post card). This one was a NVIDIA GPU settlement. If all goes correctly, I will be able to dump Jenna's lemon laptop computer (see blogs 9/4/09;6/24/10;7/22/10) and with this settlement they will send me a Compaq Presario CQ50.

First question was whether the CQ50 is a better machine than Jenna's HP Pavilion DV2310US. The problem is what model type (as there are 40 plus models)? For example the CQ50 - 140US doesn't have a built in camera - that is not good. Will it be new or refurbished? Also I added a gig of memory to Jenna's laptop - how does that work? So there is some risk in this claim - hence a lottery.

How long will this all take? They said 6-8 weeks from the deadline claim date March 14, 2011. Good thing - my extended warranty ends 6/09/11 and today when I turned it on funny sounds started occurring (as if it knows I'm dumping it).

So the pain of purchasing this 6/09/07 and sending it in for repairs no less than 4 times may finally come to an end. Was my extended warranty of $329.99 worth it? I guess it kept me from throwing this one away - so I can say that the warranty cost paid for the CQ50 that I hope to get.

Maybe now the lemon will become lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment