Monday, January 17, 2011

Synchronize your Watch

The cuckoo clock echoed it's tune this morning at 8:30am and I looked carefully at the microwave that displayed 8:24 and then to the large analog kitchen clock on the wall - about 8:26. Then I sat down at my computer to see 8:25 perfectly in sych with the DVR and phone next to my chair. Then I glanced down at my new analog watch (just received for my past birthday) and it says about 8:27.

I have never purchased one of those atomic clocks that is wireless synched to the great precise watch in the sky. How comforting it would be to have the "tie breaker" clock that could confidently correct all those other estimators (I've discovered even the computer, DVR and phones can be inaccurate even though they are not set manually).

I personally like the analog clock without the tick marks (like on my watch). And I could do without even having the seconds tick off the second hand (actually isn't it technically the third hand?).

Estimating what time it is can help smooth the rigid measures the perfectionist puts upon us at being prompt. The plus or minus 5 minute rule is a fair measure in a digital world of synchronized clocks.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure"  Stephen Stigler Statistician

1 comment:

  1. Plus or minus 5 sounds about right. Like the reference to the atomic clock as the "tie breaker".

    As always, informative and enjoyable reading.

    Thanks Garen.

    ReplyDelete