Sunday, February 26, 2012

Retro Commerce

This evening it was time to buy a new pair of tennis shoes.  So off to amazon.com to see if they have the old favorites - Jack Purcell Converse or Stan Smith Adidas.  Yep their back! - there they were -  the retro memory of  two 1970 competitors - Converse  who was on the decline, being displaced by the popular new kid on the block - Adidas.

 It was a tough decision. If I was going to play with my Jack Kramer wooden racket (and use the shoe for badminton also), the Jack Purcell was the ticket.   If instead, I was going to play with the upgraded T2000 Jimmy Connors metal racket, the Stan Smith green-tab Adidas would be the right choice. 

In the end, I chose to go the Stan Smith direction - a later 1970's choice.  The price -  $72 with shipping.  I remember just before they were about to be discontinued from the local store, Susan purchased four pair for me back in 1992 (although they were black-tabbed).  I still have two old pair in the mud room  laying around for working in the yard.

What a contrast in commerce - buying 1970's shoes from home on the computer that will arrive at my door in three to five days.  No fighting the malls, or driving around to determine inventory availability and price comparisons - just surf and click. 

Now if I can only get my 1970's tennis game back!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment