Saturday, February 4, 2012

Heaven Board Entry #5

My visits to Rich (college buddy) for the last 15 years have been on Superbowl weekend.  It seems a natural fit/guy thing - football, trips to Best Buy and the hardware store, stock market talk, golf (when weather permitted), home projects, etc.  This weekend, I will miss the tradition (only the second time in the 15 years).  A close friendship, now in it's 38th year. 

Originally it was three of us (see Three Musketeers). So because of the Superbowl tradition, my thoughts will forever connect with Rich and Wayne at this time.  Our  triangle of friendship "All for One and One for All" is now just two of us.  C.S. Lewis in his book "Four Loves" said it best (I've inserted my own buddies in his quote):

"In each of my friends there is something that only some other friend can fully bring out.  By myself I am not large enough to call the whole man into activity. I want other lights than my own to show all his facets.  Now that Wayne is dead, I shall never see Rich's reactions to a specifically Wayne joke. Far from having more of Rich, having him 'to myself' now that Wayne is away, I have less of Rich......  In this, Friendship exhibits a glorious 'nearness by resemblance' to heaven itself where the very multitude of the blessed (which no man can number) increases the fruition which each of us has of God. For every soul , seeing Him in her own way, doubtless communicates that unique vision to all the rest. .....  The more we thus share the Heavenly Bread between us, the more we shall have".

A phone call to Rich can virtually "repair" the physical distance this weekend, but what technology is available for that of Wayne? And what future is there for the triangular friendship to become whole again? 

This thought kindled yet another Heaven Board Entry - #5.



No comments:

Post a Comment