Thursday, February 3, 2011

Three Musketeers

I first met Rich M. in 1974 at Miami University. He was in Swing Hall in the room next to mine. Wayne Walder was our R.A. (and I first met Wayne at Morris Hall freshman year - he lived in the room directly below me). Rich had roomed with Wayne (in the same corner room he was presently in Sophomore year). So a certain randomness and yet connectedness bonded us together.

For the next 22 years it was "The Three Musketeers" - a botany major (Wayne); a physics major (Rich) and economics/mathematics major (Me) - stayed in touch. Every year we got together for various activities - Acquire tournaments, Las Vegas, Whitewater rafting, Golf, Basketball, Movies (e.g.StarWars) .... the list goes on and on.

We lost Wayne in 1996 (See Wayne's Weekend blog 9/24/2010) but Rich and I continue the tradition that has become a visit at least once a year during Superbowl weekend. I arrived today in Wilmington NC to continue the tradition.

Thirty seven years of friendship (66% of my life) and memories is a precious gift. No longer the Three Musketeers (now just Two) - Rich and I continue the tradition of reminiscing about the college days and keeping the spirit of Wayne alive in our conversation each year.

Fred Owlett (in my Friday morning Bible Study Group) put it best some time ago when he said: "When it's time for memories to really count ...... it's good to have one nearby"

It's good to have Rich (and Wayne in spirit) still nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment