Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cold Turkey

Watching & listening to Randy Newman in Middletown, OH last night was a treat! As we were driving up M.M. asked why I was such a fan?

In 1971 I watched the satirical comedy Cold Turkey in the theater (Randy Newman's first film sound track) and heard the song "He gives us all his Love". Sorry - no DVD for the movie - only VHS. I awaited the credits to find out who composed the song and discovered Randy Newman.

Since that time I have grown to love his songs - film music, studio recordings and odds and ends. Needless to say Susan doesn't share my view since the music can be discordant, mordant and at times vulgar/offensive (in a satirical, sarcastic way).

Jenna and Ellen had to put up with hearing the PG-13 pieces including Jenna's favorite - "Short People".

You can tell his songs play in my minds memory (see 12/17/2010 "It's Home" blog entry) - or (2/3/2010 "Big Hat, No Cattle"); (Oct 8, 2009 "Faithful Friend").

One of my favorite albums of his is the 1993 musical "Faust" which would be very offensive to the dogmatic religious folks hearing lyrics of heresy in Newman's apparent satire and "humorous cynicism". But with a cast of James Taylor, Don Henley (Eagles), Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, and Bonnie Raitt, how could anyone not listen at least once.

If I had to pick one song of his that is the best - I just couldn't and wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment