Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Changing Your Mind

I just read a quote from a noted Economist - "When facts change, I change my mind - what do you do sir? -- John Maynard Keynes. Politicians are tarred and feathered by the opposition when they change votes, or "flip/flop". Yet we are all faced with challenging decisions that requires action - sometimes with limited information or facts.

So could changing your mind a sign of strength of character? A way of saying "I was wrong, you were right. Or in some circumstances saying the hardest six words in the English language: "I'm sorry, please forgive me".

Staying open to new information and facts is the critical input to the ability to change your viewpoint. For this reason I want to listen to the opposite points of view; play out those scenarios; and read their opinions. Closing out this information creates a darkness - a censoring of freedom -- your freedom from always being right - your freedom to change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment