Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waves

I am lucky to be able to take Ellen to the school bus each morning. We have between 3-8 minutes of time together in the car as we await the arrival of the yellow school transportation. As Ellen exits the car, I get a brief look around and wave goodbye - very precious. I wave back.

Then the bus driver gives me the hi and bye wave as the door closes and I reciprocate.

What kind of wave do you have? Is it the salute snap? Shaking side to side? The continuous up and down beater? The back of hand royalty waft? Flexing fingers puppet? Single hand stationary? The Jedi mind trick?

A wave is the equivalent of a long distance handshake. In some cases a one-to-one transaction but in many cases a one to many (as in politics). Either way it attempts a visual communication connection.

And the most important wave of all - the "I can see you in the rear view mirror wave thank you" for letting me in your lane of traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment