Saturday, February 25, 2012

Laughing with Friends

One of my favorite things to do is laugh with friends.  It's sort of a Sienfeld thing - sitting at lunch or the counter talking about the humorous side of life.  A show about "nothing" - just fun with friends living in the moment.  I enjoy the company of people who can make me laugh, laugh at my stories and laugh at themselves, and laugh about life's circumstances. 


Some humor is planned and planted - jokes, puns, and comedic performances.  There are natural comedians and witty folks and others who can just spark a smile or chuckle in day to day conversation.  I actually enjoy those people who are not purposely trying to be "funny" but in the course of conversation just create a "bit of humor".  It's the unexpected humor that I enjoy the most. 


Of course, I have been to concerts with comedians (Laugh until it hurts) and enjoyed the overdose.  And, I enjoy certain comedy TV series, like Men of a Certain Age, Sienfeld, etc.  However, I'm not that much a fan of slapstick or movie comedies.  It is the simple "laugh at life" scenarios that I enjoy.  Satire, irony, double entendtre whether in print, music or discussion, are things that make me smile.



As I mentioned to A.M. yesterday, I like to be around people who make me laugh.  I can't define the science of humor in people - it just appears at the right moment.  It can start with listening, telling your story, which morphs into a related experience --- and the humor ball bounces forward and back in a gentle volley with the intent to keep laughter in play. 



So find a laughter partner and put the humor in play.

No comments:

Post a Comment