Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Graduation

This is the time of year that Graduations are beginning to be celebrated.  I have very little memory of my graduations - high school, college, masters.  Even the days of career promotions meld together (although I do remember the anticipation of salary increase letters).  I just sent a High School Graduation card to my neice (Dayna) with a picture of a bulldog in a graduation hat -  "You're a BIG DOG now!"

It's funny that for graduations and promotions the world perceives you differently, however that change seems only incremental to you.  I remember the thoughtful surprise party J.C. had for me when I was promoted to Partner at Accenture.  I didn't feel any different, but the title now provided others a different view of me. 

We use the term graduate "FROM" - since it typically means a process of training in one of more disciplines.  But the actual term should be graduate "TO"  -  moving to the next goal or acheivement.

What are you graduating TO now?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Uncle Garen! I graduated last Saturday with my Masters in Social and Public Policy! It was a challenging two years but I am glad I did it. Tim has started a new position at an organic farm about an hour from our current home. He loves it! We are looking for a place to rent that is very close to the farm and I have started to send out my resume to nonprofits in the area.

    ReplyDelete