Sunday, May 6, 2012

Spades or Hearts

Last night was the celebration dinner for Susan and L.Y. for their tournament win in Gatlinburg several weeks ago.  A wonderful evening with friends, I caught myself before I said to J.P. "In the theme of cards, that's what I like - calling a spade a spade". 

Why did I hesitate?   Part of the conversation was when P.Y. posed the question to J.P on whether he thought the USA is a bigoted nation.  The word spade became an ethic slur (sometime around 1928) probably due to the color reference in cards - as black as the ace of spades.   In fact many people believe the expression "call a spade, a spade" comes from the card reference but many (like me) hesitate to use the expression because it may be interpreted incorrectly.   

Wikopedia suggests the actual context  (178BC) refers to a shovel (or trough) -  no wonder I like the phrase since it involves moving dirt.  So it's origin has nothing to due with color or cards.

Susan and L.Y received nearly identical congratulation cards with playing cards (Ace through Jack) taped strategically inside.  The only difference was the suit - Spades or Hearts.  As we all signed the cards with our personal congratulation notes, we all had the opportunity to:

Call a Heart, a Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment