Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fellow Economists Unite

When G.M. (a Miami U. Economics Graduate) emailed me yesterday that he was looking for company driving to Miami U. (the first Miami University in Oxford, Ohio) to hear Paul Ryan speak at a rally, I said "I'm in".  So was Susan, and his wife N.M.   The line to enter was a 45 minute wait in the hot sun  and by the time we entered the secure area the line was backed up to Millet (near the football field) and over a 1 hour wait.  The heat did the paid protesters in, but those that supported Paul Ryan would not be dissuaded. 

A fellow Red Hawk (Class of 1992) and Economics major, Paul Ryan was introduced by his Economics professor.  Not a name I remember from my Economics days in the early seventies (Class of 1975/1976).  Our neighbor, K.K. was one year behind Paul and knows him also.  So Paul Ryan felt close in a number of ways. 

Paul Ryan was a decent speaker, a clean cut guy (typical Miamian), and has a great smile.  I was approached by a young reporter from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and asked a few questions.   The most interesting question was whether Paul Ryan's addition to the ticket made any difference to me (e.g. was I already a Romney supporter).  I consider myself a moderate (leaning to libertarian tendencies) and Romney's moderate image was already acceptable to me so I said no.  But on further reflection and after Paul Ryan's closing comments about liberty and limited government, I would now answer differently.  Ryan's addition was "icing on the cake".  Clearly he has galvanized the Tea Party advocates - after all Susan was there. 

The single issue that will determine this election can be summarized in three words - Economy, Economy, Economy.  This was reiterated by Governor Kasich and Senator Portman during the introduction. I liked Paul Ryan's moxy - just like his budget plan encounter with Obama -  "Bring it on"!

Thank goodness Paul Ryan was schooled in that revered College of Economics in Oxford :)  just like me :)

PS   I told the reporter that I only vote for Miami  Economic Graduates.  G.M. interjected - "Yeah, he really was a Benjamin Harrison supporter!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment