Monday, July 22, 2013

Why are you here?

The Sunday evening Fellowship group is almost complete with our discussion about Dinesh D'Souza's book "What's so Great about Christianity".  The book is good at debunking the myths and typical arguments (reason or empirical ) used to argue against Christianity.  I personally like Susan's logic -- it is more difficult (if not impossible) to prove that God does not exist than to accept (empirically I might add) that the evidence points to God's existence.  In my recent study of the great philosophers that wrestled with the purpose and/or meaning of life, I have found that the majority conclude there is some higher order - some designer.

Actually the professed Atheist population is very small (2% of world population and about the same in the U.S.A.).  The non-religious makes up another 9.7%.  Since the stereotype is that most Atheists are intellectual and scientific ("Brights"), their discussions can be intimidating based on deep knowledge of philosophy and/or science. 

Logic provides a partial path to understanding that there is a higher order, but it takes a leap into the transcendental to complete the journey.  Whether you are Atheist or Religious, there will always be the question: Why are we here?; What is the purpose of your life?

When I think about this question - I answer:       "I don't know, but I care".
When the Atheist answers the question he says:  "I don't know, and I don't care".

No comments:

Post a Comment