Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Be a Good Example

My Mom was always telling us to "be a good example". Today in a discussion about Philanthropy Mike and I shared the question of whether giving is learned or inherent in people. I'm afraid it is learned like most things.
I liked Warren Buffet's answer to Willow Bay (Huffington Post) on how to raise of generation of children who really want to take on societies problems.
Warren Buffet Response: "Well.. they will follow by example. Well I mean not every child is going to do that. But generally speaking
their parents, they start out as their heroes anyway. They want to do what
their heroes do.  You tell me who your
hero is and I’ll sort of tell you what you’re going to do.  If they see you behaving in a certain manner,
I think they are likely going to pick up on it."
So "walk the talk" - be a teacher - be the hero and set the giving example.


No comments:

Post a Comment