Wednesday, July 7, 2010

HDMI, HDCP, DTS, Digital Dolby

Are you confused enough on your TV viewing technology. My family room system is so complicated (even with my own hand written instructions) that it is a wonder any new person at my house can watch normal broadcast TV. There are times it takes me 30 minutes to set up the system (e.g. Bluray HDMI player with DTS 5.1 Surround Sound using Headphones).

Case in point - Last night I was attempting to turn off the Playstation (which toggles on when even a light dust rag travels over the switch) only to discover no picture would appear through the Surround Sound switching receiver. After 2 solid hours of "system testing" to localize the problems (i.e. is it the TV, PS3, Surround Sound, Cables, or incompatible HDCP settings between the PS3 and TV), I finally turned to the internet for help. BINGO!

There was page after page of discussion items on faulty HDMI issues. Was it a surge, a PS3 firmware upgrade; a TV HDCP compatibility issue - one site said "don't waste your time just use component cables?

I took the advice and punted - purchased $14 PS3 to component cables. Now this evening I will spend another 2 hours figuring out how to get DTS 5.1 surround sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment